Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Fritata with a Dystopian on the Side

What am I reading now? Numbers Game (Rebecca Rode)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far? Wow! I really enjoyed this book. I've stayed away from dystopian books for months, but I'm glad I picked this one up. The main character, Treena, isn't a comando-teen. She's vulnerable and inexperienced, and she messes up a lot. But she learns and grows too.

Here's the blurb:
Treena is nervous for Rating Day. A single number will brand her forever—a valuable citizen, or a pathetic waste of space. Her top-Rated boyfriend is confident their scores will coincide so they can attend the academy together. But when the big day arrives, her true number shocks everyone. 

To get her life and boyfriend back, she must go undercover and expose a military spy. Doesn’t sound too hard, except that someone wants her dead. And then there’s Vance, the mysterious soldier with a haunted past and beautiful brown eyes. Together, they discover a dark numbers conspiracy, one that shatters the nation’s future. Treena must join up with Vance if she is to survive the dangerous game of numbers—and the terrible war that rages within her heart.


Fritata

I made this for our writers' retreat a couple of weeks ago. I'd forgotten how yummy it is.
(The one in the picture has spinach in it.)


Beat
12 eggs with 1/3 cup of milk

Stir in 
1/2 large onion, diced
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 1/2  cups chopped vegetables (I usually use the frozen mixed veggies and just chop them finer)
1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup of grated parmesan cheese (This isn't the dried kind in a can)
1/2 cup of grated cheddar

Bake
in a large dripper pan at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes. I spray the pan with Pam to make serving easier. When it's done cooking, the knife should come out without egg on it, but doesn't have to be completely dry.

***If you like a little southwest in your eggs (like I do!), throw in some diced green chile if you'd like. Then top with salsa to serve.

No comments: