Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Trouble Writing?

What am I reading now?  Newbie (Jo Noelle)
Annd . . . what do I think so far?  Yes, this is our book too! I have a special place in my heart for Sophie. She a little fun, a little naive, and has a lot of heart and spunk! BTW, if you want a great present for a teacher this year--give them this book.

The housing market is crashing, and Sophie’s life is crashing with it. At twenty-four, her successful real estate career evaporates. She’s broke, can’t find a job, or pay her bills, leaving Sophie wondering how her successful lifestyle became so fragile. 

At the urging of her roommate, Sophie accepts a job in her fallback career—teaching six-year-olds. She hopes it’s temporary. After all, how long can a tanking economy last anyway? The best part of the new job is Liam, another employee at Rio Grande Elementary. The worst part of the new job is, well, teaching. 

Sophie has a surprise real estate closing from a contract she wrote months ago, leading her to a niche in the real estate market and to a new partner, Kevin. Sophie must choose between Liam or Kevin and between a lucrative career or recess duty. 
Trouble Writing?

Several years back, I was taking a class in Ohio about how to teach writing to elementary students. Near the end of the week, the instructor asked us to reflect on our insights about the writing process. Among many thoughts, I also stated that I thought writing was hard or frustrating at times and as long as I understood that, I could help students through their own writing choices and revisions.

When we shared our reflections, most of the participants disagreed with that reflection. It's still true at times for me. I like those times though because they push me to fix whatever it is in the project that I'm not yet satisfied with.
I'm okay with having trouble writing!

2 comments:

Missionary Mom said...

This book looks fun and entertaining. I am looking for a great read over the Christmas break and I think I have found the perfect one! Now I just need to order it and have the break start.

Canda said...

I hope you'll enjoy it!