Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Abandoned Books

What am I reading now?  No, I didn't forget to blog. And I didn't forget to read this week, either! 
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? 
However, I did start and abandon several books! I don't rate books that get less than 3 stars, and I'm not going to blog about those books. So I don't have a new book to recommend this week.
:(

Some reasons I'll abandon a book include:
1. It gets vile early on. I think it will only get worse--dump it.
2. There are so many typos and missed punctuation that I'm completely pulled out of the story. I'm okay with a few, but every page is where I draw the line.
3. Large chunks of text committed to talking heads. I don't know what the characters are doing, except that they're talking.
4. Nothing happens. I'll give a book 10-20 (I think I'm generous) pages for grabbing my interest. If backstory goes on and on, I won't.
5.  Poor story flow. By the time I'm good and lost, I don't care to figure it out.

I do have a fabulous recipe to share with you…
Cheesy Bean Dip
Nickname: Sabbath Dip
I had planned to serve artichoke dip one Sunday dinner. When I started pulling everything out of the pantry, I noticed that I didn't have artichokes (kinda required) or the right kind of cheese (guerre). Can't shop on Sunday--I couldn't make it. Still wanting a wonderful appetizer, I improvised with what I did have. The result has become a family favorite.


1 can white northern beans, liquid and all
1/2 block softened cream cheese
1/4 cup mayo (Please, if you use Miracle Whip, I don't want to know.)
Puree those together using an immersion blender or your regular blender.

Stir in:
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup fresh basil, rough chopped
1 cup warmed (frozen) spinach (pat dry with paper towel before mixing in)
3 cups grated mozzarella
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Pour into baking dish
Top with 3/4 cup of grated mozzarella

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes
Serve with tortilla chips or chunks of bread

1 comment:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yummy looking!

Not the abandoned books.