Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Secret About Love...

What am I reading now? Friday Society (Adrienne Kress)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? A little steampunk and a lot mystery!

I picked up this book for a few reasons:
•The goggles hinted at steampunk
•The three young women seem like a tinker-version of Charlie's Angels. (I know this dates me, but go ahead and google it--I'll wait while you check out the images.)
•and  the first line is "And then there was an explosion." Which, I came to learn, is the first line of at least three different chapters. 

Set in turn of the century London, The Friday Society follows the stories of three very intelligent, very ladylike–well, relatively ladylike– and talented young women, Cora, lab assistant; Michiko, Japanese fight assistant; and Nellie, magician's assistant. Their lives become  intertwined after a chance meeting at a ball that ends with the discovery of a murdered mystery man. It's up to these three, in their own charming but bold way, to solve the murder–and the crimes they believe may be connected to it.

(Just a warning--this could have been cut by 75 pages easily! It can get really wordy about some insignificant stuff, but I'm a tenacious reader and pushed through, and it was worth it.)
The Truth About Love Is...



Even while Ellie’s hair was wet and matted to her head, she was powerful, commanding attention, especially mine, a mix of bliss and intimidation. She cried with her whole body, not a pretty tears-slipping-over-cheeks cry, but a full voiced, open-mouthed wail, with kicking legs and puffy eyes. My arms ached to hold her, to whisper she can always count on me. Finally, I pulled her to me, her warm cheek at my breast, belonging. My husband’s arms encircle us both while blinking back tears. “She’s beautiful.” The secret about love is to be all-in, even when you’re just starting out.


Visit my friend's blogs to see their stories too.
Wendy Knight, Author : www.wendyknightauthor.blogspot.com
Kelly Martin, Author: www.kellymartinbooks.blogspot.com
Alison Woods (Peering Into. . .): http://alisonmillerwoods.wordpress.com/
Jessica Winn, The Distracted Writer:http://thedistractedwriter.com/
Stephanie Worlton's Kreating Krazy blog: http://stephanieworlton.blogspot.com/
Lindzee Armstrong/Lydia Winters http://lindzeearmstrong.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Laura D. Bastian said...

very sweet. and nicely done. can totally visualize it.

Ginny-Gin-Gin said...

Baby love! What a beautiful moment!

AM Woods: alisonmillerwoods.com said...

New baby! I loved the happy family imagery- well done. (And I liked the review too - I will have to put that book on my wish list)

Jessica Winn said...

Aw! This is sweet! Nicely done!

The Hot Girl in the Comic Shop said...

Really want to read Friday Society now. Thanks for the book review!
And, of course, love your story. The description is really vivid and pulled me right in. It's so sweet. And I love the way you captured the fear of being a new mother, mingled with the awe and excitement and just overpowering LOVE. Really beautiful.