Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Love to Create

What am I reading now? The Pirate's Desire (Jennette Green)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far? This story is set in England, 1812. Seventeen-year-old Lady Lucinda wants her freedom back. But an orphaned young woman has no property rights in regency England; indeed, she has few rights at all. . .

After Lucinda’s father is killed in action, he leaves her under the guardianship of a former pirate, the devastatingly handsome Captain Riel Montclair. Riel is a barbaric rogue, however, as he demonstrates the very first evening he arrives. Montclair clearly has a will of iron, which frustrates Lucinda beyond measure. But how could her tender-hearted father have come to trust such a dangerous man? Lucinda must protect Ravensbrook, and her future, at all costs. And how far is she willing to go to get Riel out of her life, and ensure her freedom?

Doing Something you Love

What are your hobbies? Why do you do them?

Obviously I love to write. But another thing I like to do is make beautiful dresses. When I consider why that became a hobby of mine, I remembered watching my mom sew. It seemed like magic to me. You start out with something flat and end up with clothing to create memories with. So I learned. I cut and measured. I pinned and sewed. And all too often I pulled the stitches out and tried again. 

Year after year, dress after dress, gradually I got better. It was many, many years before I realized I could do what my mother did--take a sleeve from this pattern, a bodice from that, and design a new skirt that all together would make the new dress, a unique creation. 

During those hours of sewing, I learned that the creative process is hard but will improve with practice. I also learned that creating carries with it it's own worth.

Now I apply those lessons learned to a new creative project--learning to tell stories--and hope for a beautiful result. I know it will take hours and hours, and that it will improve. I just have to keep working at it.

Here's a recent dress I made for a granddaughter. I cut the fabric from my own wedding gown. Not only was the dress sewn with love, but the very fabric was a witness to long ago beautiful memories.

No comments: