Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Co-Authors

What am I reading now?  These Broken Stars (Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  Lilac meets Major Tarver Merendsen by accident. But knowing that her father would ruin the young officer if caught in her company, she humiliates him and turns away. Shortly after their encounter, the Icarus, the largest luxury space ship Lilac's father owns, begins vibrating violently, sending passengers stampeding to the escape pods. When she is pushed over a railing in the confusion, Tarver follows to save her. They enter a pod and blast away from the listing ship.
          Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 


Co-Authors
The fact that the book I read this week was co-authored increased my interest in it. When ever I see that a book is co-authored, I wonder what their writing process was. Deanna and I have been through a few permutations and will probably end out changing things up again in the near future.

At first, we just outlined together, and then one of us wrote the book while constantly consulting with the other about needed changes. The next change came when we decided to switch manuscripts every now and again (read--when we were sick of the book we were writing) for variety. Lately though, we write side-by-side. We sit together when we outline and when we compose or revise. I absolutely love it. Because we are mother-daughter, I not only appreciate her as a writer, but I love building the relationship too.

That will change, as all things are bound to, and we'll have to find a new writing process. This quote makes me think about how we will find a way to be close whether or not we can sit side-by-side and share our love of writing and stories.

No comments: