Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Inside Story

What am I reading now?  Reforming Lord Ragsdale (Carla Kelly)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  Emma Costello owed a debt of honor to one of the most dishonorable lords in the realm. The infamous Lord Ragsdale was as rich as sin, as sinful as he was rich, and as heartless as he was handsome. But he had saved Emma from a fate worse than death when he stopped a lecherous brute from buying her as an indentured servant. 

I really enjoyed this book--but I didn't like the hero, but I liked his character. I know! That sounds all kinds of confusing. Here's the thing. He's definitely not someone I'd be friends with, but he is the character that fit the story. 
        For me, deciding whether or not I like a book  isn't always about answering the question, "Do I like the characters?"


The Inside Story

Something I really enjoyed about this book was the way the author snuck in the backstory of the characters and revealed their personalities. Her skillful writing of the "Inside Story" of the characters kept me reading and reading way past the time I should have gone to bed. The Inside Story is how the characterization, motivation and personality are developed through seeing the personal reflection, emotions and debates a character goes through. 

Here are some examples of inner reflection that revealed character, from this book:

  • "I wonder who is living in our house now, she thought. I hope they have not made too many changes. Mama had such exquisite taste."
  • "I have had my fill of prisons, she thought. I hope the walls are thicker at Newgate than they were at Prevot."
  • "I've walked from County Wicklow to Dublin, most of the time carrying my little brother. This will be a stroll."
The Inside Story is what makes us feel connected to the characters, their problems and their growth.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I agree, and writing that "back story" or inside story is hard sometimes when you don't already know it. I had a critic once where I was asked, "Why should I care about this character?" Since the question had to be asked, I'd obviously done something wrong! I work on that in my head now, a lot, before I even start writing the book... Great post!