Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Rereading Some Favorites


What am I reading now? The Shadow Reader (Williams), Devil's Cub (Heyer) and Persuasion (Austen)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  These books sit on my Favorite-of-Favorites Shelf and are among a few dozen books I'll reread whenever I get a chance.

About Rereading
I was dreading this week's blog post because I hadn't read anything new. I read 2-3 books a week, this week included, but they were all favorites of mine. In fact, I reread Persuasion every year for Valentine's Day. It's a beautiful story about rising above your upbringing and becoming the person you want most to be. It's a tribute to the lasting power of loving and growing into love. Devil's Cub reminds me that people can and do change. The Shadow Reader shows how we can be so caught up in our lives that we miss really living, seeing the truth and making choices for ourselves instead of for the circumstance.

I reread books. I love how the first time I read a book, I'm pulled into a new place and new lives. On the subsequent readings, I see connections in the story I didn't see before. I don't have to focus in the plot but relax into the story without trying to find out what's happening and who everyone is. Because I'm not so interested in the surface story, I have greater appreciation and understanding at a deeper level for the emotion being conveyed. It's like visiting old friends.

No comments: