Tuesday, December 17, 2013

"My Books are Water"

What am I reading now?  Copied (S.M. Anderson)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far?
Adopted off the black market, Alexander Mitchell, has no idea his DNA is copyrighted and property of military weapons giant Texacom Defense. Nor that his DNA is being used to develop an army of clones. 
          When the company discovers he was not properly disposed of 17 years ago, they send an assassin copy, BETA23, to terminate Xan and cover it up.
Narrowly escaping BETA23’s first attempt, Xan teams up with Lacey, a genetically engineered genius, he’s surprised to find common ground with— only they’re awkward together. Half of the time she stares at Xan like the science project he is and the other half...let’s just say Xan can’t keep his eyes off her lips.
"My Books are Water"
WOW! Mark Twain considered his own books water in comparison with other works. Maybe Shakespeare did as well as he wrote for audiences filled with common people. 


The best books I've read, the ones that touch my heart and stay with me long after the last page is turned are the books that opened a new understanding about myself, others or the world. Some of them are masterpieces--I fell in love with Shakespeare and Poe in high school. Others have been well loved for more than a century--Jane Eyer and Persuasion. Some rocked the literary world--Book Thief. Or the pop culture world--Harry Potter. Still other favorites were popular within a genre--Shopaholic, Mystic and Rider, Divergent.

My daughters love to read too! (Yes, I did one right as a mom.) And their list of what is great is different from mine or from each other's. So that's the thing. What might be water to me is wine to someone else and vice versa.
Are you a writer? Write the book! Don't worry if it is water or wine. Tell the story as honestly as you can and it will find a heart that can love it.

3 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Just water is fine for me, I think. I don't have any delusions of grandeur.

Deanna said...

I love that everyone has different view on books--water or wine, makes it fun. Though it's exciting to find someone who thinks the same every now and then. :)

DMS said...

I agree that we need to write and put our stories out there. Water- or wine- our work will be viewed differently by each person who reads it. :)

Copied also sounds interesting!

Happy New Year!
~Jess