Tuesday, December 24, 2013

6 Essential Resources

What am I reading now? Awakening (Christy Dorrity)

Annd . . . what do I think so far?  McCayla thinks magic's not real, outside of books that is, until her Aunt Avril visits while on a business trip (she's a psychic for the FBI) and pulls her into the hunt for supernatural killer, awakening McCayla's own magical abilities. On the night she has a solo in her ballet recital, she wanders down a school hallway, finding a dance competition. Excited about the energy the dancers bring to their steps and curious to learn more about it, McKayla approaches the school's janitor, mute and crippled, to teach her Irish dance.
          I love the mix of Celtic mythology, a geis (curse), Irish dancing and relatable characters--oh, and throw in some high school drama and teenage romance. You'll enjoy this book!

6 Books for Writer Wannabes
When you're starting work on a novel, your first novel, you don't know how much you don't know--at least Deanna and I didn't. We just took off writing! The story evolved from a character we felt like we knew. It was a thrilling ride to write a chapter and share that with our family or friends and get their feedback--of course it was all positive. Then when the last chapter was written, it was ready to be sent out for publication--or so we thought. Again, we didn't know what we didn't know.

A few years and several novels later, we are starting to get it. Writing is part heart and part head. Our first attempts were all heart. Since then we've been on a journey to collect the knowledge we need to make our books interesting to more than our close relatives.

A few months ago, a friend of mine told me she had a great idea for a novel (I didn't even know she wanted to write novels.) and wondered how to start writing it. When she told me her concept, I wanted to read it--I hope she writes that story. She asked some questions about structure and scenes. So I started looking over my book case to determine which books I went to most often when stuck while writing. What would I recommend to a new writer?
Here's the list:
Story Engineering by Larry Brooks on story structure
Character Emotion & Viewpoint by Nancy Kress
Make a Scene by Jordan E Rosenfeld
Sin and Syntax by Constance Hale on words, sentences and beautiful writing
45 Master Characters by Victoria Lynn Schmidt
20 Master Plots and How to Build Them by Ronald B. Tobias
It's like having college classes in your lap.

No comments: