Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!

What am I reading now?  United We Spy (Ally Carter)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  Oh, I LOVE this series! I am so sad that this is the last book. It's done and the girls are graduating. But the good news is--if you haven't started it yet, they are all out now and you won't have to wait for a year between each release date. As with most series, I can't say much about this book without ruining the best parts of the other books. But I can say, this book (and this author BTW) doesn't disappoint in this conclusion. It's a great ending.

Here's my official recipe for roasting a perfect, moist and delish turkey!

Roasting a turkey

1 c. salt
½ c sugar
½ c brown sugar
1 Tablespoon peppercorns
1 T ground ginger
1 T dried rosemary
1 T ground sage
1 T dry basil
1 large onion, cut up
5 celery sticks, chopped
5 carrots, sliced
1 gallon chicken broth

Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugars and soften the vegetables
Remove from heat and add 1 gallon ice water
Cool completely
Submerge turkey in brine and add enough ice to bring the level of the brine over the turkey
Brine up to 24 hours, keeping ice in the tank

To bake, remove the bird and wipe off everything that sticks to it
Combine 1 softened stick of butter with 2 T Montreal Chicken seasoning
Loosen the skin on the breast and thighs.
Push butter into these areas
Preheat oven to 500 degrees
Roast the bird for 30 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees until done.
I remove it at 170 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh but not touching the bone (the little red buttons they put on birds are always wrong) and let it sit for 10 minutes before I carve it. I also spoon some of the drippings from the pan over the carved pieces.

I don’t bag it or it will boil the turkey--not good. You can tent the breast with foil for some of the time, but pull it off to let it brown.

1 comment:

Jordan McCollum said...

LOVE Ally Carter's books! I'm behind on the GG series, but you know I'm a huge fan ;) . Couldn't just scroll past without saying something ;)