Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Getting to Know Myself as a Writer

What am I reading now?  The Reluctant Bachelorette (Rachael Anderson)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far? 
Taycee a small town girl. (Me too!)
She grew up in a Colorado community dependent on farming. (Me too!)
She loves the small town life. (Agree to disagree)

It's been 10 years since she's seen Luke. He was her older brother's best friend, and she thought hers too. But when he moved away, and never looked back, or called or wrote it shattered her heart. It isn't bad enough that he's here, but they are both tangled into a scheme the town has to earn money for a farmers' co-op, by staging a Reality Internet Series of The Bachelorette, staring Taycee.

Getting to Know Myself as a Writer
I'm learning a lot about my own writing style. Here are a few of my recent ah-ha's:
I have to consciously write sentences with varying lengths and complexity.
I have to deliberately add in reactions, sequels and emotion. I have a tendency to skip to the next bit of action.
I have to put a novel aside for a while to forget about how it was written to look at it with fresh perspective for revision.
I way over use the word "that"; like 827 times in one book, 731 times in another and 325 times in the latest finished book. Each time I could wipe out about 2/3 of them during editing.

1 comment:

Renae Weight Mackley said...

I love this! I think I should do a self-analysis too. I think THAT a certain word was my biggest number of usage to cut as well. Fun post.