Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade

What am I reading now?  The Girl with the Iron Touch (Kady Cross, Steampunk Chronicles #3 )

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  I really do love this series. I love the steampunkness, the feisty characters, the romance between Finley and Griffin and the incredibly wicked villain! Oh, he's a nasty one on so many levels. There were a couple of great new characters introduced that I hope to learn more about in the coming books (yes, I think this series will go on for  a while,) Mila, a machine that is becoming human, and Mr. Isley, a spiritual medium.

Something to love about this series, the character arcs continue in each book and over the series, but the stories themselves are self-contained. They are still a series and are best read in order, but they read like episodes with clear beginnings and ends for each book. I'd put this series in the New Adult age although at the beginning Finley is 17 years old, she isn't a teenager. (Although New Adult is getting a reputation for erotica--this isn't! I also hope other authors take back the New Adult category and write books with wide audience (read: not offensive) appeal.

Sparkling Watermelon Lemonade
Not quite as thick as a slush, but still chilly, icy summer-yum!

Watermelon chunks (liquify in a blender then freeze for 4 hours--I pour it into a 9X13 pan then stir it every hour to make watermelon ice)
Crystal Light lemonade (mixed according to package directions) then add 1 teaspoon dried mint and chill for 4 hours
Club Soda or Sprite Zero chilled

In a blender, combine chunks of watermelon ice and enough lemonade to just reach the top of the melon and blend till smooth. Pour into a glass to fill to 2/3 then fill the last 1/3 with sparkling water.

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Anything with watermelon is good by me! :)