Tuesday, May 28, 2013

INK -- Fascinating Setting

What am I reading now?  INK (Amanda Sun)
*I like the UK cover better than the US one, so I used it here

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  This might be one of the most original stories I've read this year. And the setting, Japan, described in rich detail, captures the imagination. It's still a paranormal romance and fulfills the expectation of the genre, but the twists are so refreshing.

The little details call to the reader to join the story without interrupting the flow; bento boxes, cherry blossoms, cram-school, kendo, manju, calligraphy--oh, I need a vacation to Japan!

The story is Katie's, an American girl, sent to Japan to live with her aunt (who is teaching English) after her mother's death, but it's also Tomo's, who is tortured, believing he's a monster endowed with an ancient super-power. No, I'm not telling what it is--you could find it by reading about the book--but I loved reading the story as the revelation unfolded in the pages. It's part of the fascination.

This book gets 5 stars from me on Goodreads. You should know that if I read a book that I feel doesn't earn at least 3 stars, I won't rate it or review it on Goodreads, but I also don't throw 5s around. (It only looks like it because I've posted about two 5's in a row!) They are saved for stories or characters that stick with me for a while. This one qualifies, with much of the extra appeal attributed to the unusual paranormal element introduced and the unfamiliar setting, and I'll be waiting for the next in the Paper Gods series.

Something that I would have loved in this book would have been having two 1st-person POV characters. Tomo has so much going on in his life that it would have made the book amazing to have the conflict he experienced introduced into the plot, especially in the first hundred pages. But it wasn't, so I'd by the book from Tomo's point of view, if Ms. Sun would like to get right on that.    ;)

Just a thought:


1 comment:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I've never heard of this book. I'm going to add it to my to-read list.