Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Goodreads Rants

What am I reading now?   The Elite (Kiera Cass, The Selection)
Annd . . . what do I think so far?  Yes, I love this series!
This is the second book in The Selection series with the next book out in 2014; that is a year from now.
A whole year--12 months--365 days!
AHHHHHHH!

I can't say much about this book without spoiling the first book so I'll just say: The king has to die.
Those of you who have read this book agree, right?
My rating on this book?
Goodreads Rants
In the spirit of science, I like getting my own facts about books, so I try to avoid reading the comments people make about books before I read them. Oh, don't get me wrong--I stalk Goodreads a lot, but I only look at the number of stars the books I'm interested in are getting. And even then, I'll look at a few of my friends that have similar reading tastes and weight their stars more heavily than even the average listed for a book. After I read and rate the book, I might scroll through and read some of the comments.

Something I noticed--the longest rants about a book, the rants that get a lot of press from other people commenting back on their rants--are not the comments I agree with. Full disclosure--I've read some of them to see what it was that was so heinous to deserve only one star.
Hmm.
It seems to me that many times the reader is rating themselves and not the book.

I mean
1. The person admits they don't really like or read that genre. (so don't)
2. The person says they don't like the character. (so what)
3. The person says (of an ARC) they would never buy that book. (so don't)
4. The person says they would never want a relationship like the one in the book. (so what)

In the case of most rants, the reviewer is ranting about what they like, what they want, what they would do, not about the merits of the book. And knowing that helps me find book recommendations that someone else might rant about, but I loved.

3 comments:

Sheila Staley said...

I'm very excited to read The Elite. I agree with you a lot about the reviews at Goodreads. Sometimes they are down right silly why they don't like a book. Occasionally there will be a character in a book that I can't stand and it ruins the book for me. But...this probably means they are very good at writing their characters.;)

Donna K. Weaver said...

I haven't read this series. I'd add it to my TBR list if I didn't have such a long one already.

Love your comments about the ranting ratings and what they really say about the one doing it. I'm tweeting.

Renae W. Mackley said...

Ranting is for people who don't know how to review. It's a learning process and hopefully they will get better at it.
I like your "What I'm reading now" sections. Keep up the good work!