Tuesday, January 15, 2013

You know you're a writer if . . .

What am I reading now?  Warm Bodies (Isaac Marion)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  It's a little Romeo & Juliet, a little Frankenstein and a little Hunger Games (not just killing for survival but the political undertones too). I didn't expect to like the book and I didn't expect to find anything I liked about the writing style (I shy away from men writing any type of romantic plot--I know--prejudice--I'll work on it.) I found myself rooting for the zombie, R, and for the human, Julie, he fell in love with.
          The story is about love, hope, forgiveness and being human. Loved it.

(Caution: lots of "F" bombs and other swearing, and some sexual reference. Docked the rating from a 5 to a 4 star rating because of it.) I'll be buying a ticket to the movie for this book. The trailer looks like they are going to do a fair representation of the plot.

You know you're a writer if . . .
How would you finish that sentence?

My answer: You know you're a writer if you have to write.
Not can write, like to or want to.
But HAVE TO write. Which means you do it all the time.
•Sitting in a meeting? Jot notes about setting.
•Shopping in the mall? Scribble ideas about characterizations.
•Deep in a project at work? Random thoughts about plot.

Most writers have a way to save those thoughts--writer's notebooks. Here are some of my examples:
Most of the time I write notes to myself like these



that get transferred into the pink book:




The brown leather one under the pink one is what I use to take notes in when I go to writing classes. Well--notes and random thoughts that constantly interrupt my studious plans.


Maybe the most recognizable ones are the notebook notebooks. These are labeled by specific working titles and gather all the haphazard bits that could be used in that storyline. They are on my beside table, if Deanna and I are currently working on that story, or on a shelf in the library, if we're not.

I also keep Writer's Notebook files on my computer:

And finally--the striped ones--how to categorize the striped ones? They are the Royalty of Randomness. They have snipets of thoughts and ideas that don't have a home in a story yet, scenes that could be developed into novels at some future time (A few of them, I really hope I write!), and phrases or words that I just like how they sound.

There's my evidence.
How do you know you're a writer?

No comments: