Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Giving away a signed copy of Leviathan!

What am I reading now?  Leviathan (Scott Westerfeld)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? Steampunk heaven for Middle Grade and YA! (and a few more than a few adults too)
This story is fast paced and the language is rich, making the reading experience one of those no-I'm-not-puting-this-down-to-eat-or-sleep books. Drop that kind of writing within WWI's intriguing historical background to create a page turning addiction.

What if...
•Darwin discovered DNA and learned to manipulate it?
•The murder of your parents started a global war?
•The boundaries between countries, and between allies and enemies were blurred?
•You could have your dream of being a soldier on an airship?
•Your secret could end in swinging from the gallows?
P.S. All three books in this series are out now--and a fourth book about the aeronautics of the world Westerfeld built in these stories.

Just because you love steampunk!
Just because you are here now!
Just because I have one. . . 
 signed copy of Leviathan to give away!

Leave a comment for me with your name, email address (in case you win) and either 1) a reason why you love steampunk too or 2) a suggested title for another steampunk to read, to be entered for the drawing for this book! (Sorry only shipping to USA)

12 comments:

kbrebes said...

Why I love steampunk?? It's the clothes!!! : )

Kathleen Brebes
kbrebes at aol dot com

Donna K. Weaver said...

I've heard a lot about this book but never read it. Hmmm . . . I wonder if there's an audiobook. lol Then I might actually have time to read it.

Steve Myers said...

I love steampunk for the creativity of those who love the genre. From clothes to props, it brings out a fun side of people who don't take themselves too seriously.

Without a doubt, the best I ever saw steampunk done was the movie Suckerpunch. It got the attitude and feel right, which is hard to do. Steampunk entails more than alternate history with useless gears glued on.

Steve Myers
seomarketer at gmail dot com

Angie said...

I've only just discovered steam punk and it's fun! You should try City of the Saints by D.J. butler. Mormon steam punk!

angloft@gmail.com

Renae W. Mackley said...

Like Angie, I'm just discovering steampunk and it sounds fascinating. This would be a great book to kick off my immersion. As a clothing and textile major, I could really get into this. Thanks.
renaemackley AT gmail DOT com

Rachelle said...

I love Westerfeld's writing in the Ugly series so this is one I've had my eye on. I can't say that I've read Steampunk before, but that signed copy is looking might tempting! :)
Thanks for the info and contest.

Gayle said...

I haven't read a lot of steampunk but I love the whole mechanical aspect to everything. Our family listened to the audiobook of Leviathan, but I had to check it out later from the library just to see the illustrations! :)
Thanks for the giveaway!
bgh(at)byu(dot)net

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I think there is something so proactive about steampunk. Whether the protag loves the technology, loathes the technology, creates the mechanics, or destroys the mechanics it's never a dull ride. (Steve- I love Sucker Punch.)

I am a huge Westerfeld fan and have been hoping to find the time to pick this series up. This might be the perfect time :)

Thanks for such a fun contest.
Where did you get your hands on such coolness?

Shelly Brown shellybrownwriter at gmail

Canda said...

He was signing at a conference I went to a couple of weeks ago. Confession--I actually got three copies signed but I'm keeping one :)

The Damsel in Dis Dress said...

I absolutely love this book and would adore to win it! I love steampunk with all its gadgets and gears. A cheap way to try steampunk is The Emperor's Edge by Lindsey Buroker...ebook only.

Lynne Harter said...

My daughter recommends Cherie Priest, who wrote Boneshaker.
Phillip Reeve's Mortal Engines and Fever Crumb series have steampunky elements.

I'm kind of a WWI geek, and I love how Westerfeld's afterwords give the actual historical background.

Deryn Sharp is one of those "badass" girl protags (a la Katniss Everdeen)

@Donna: The audiobooks are read by Alan Cumming (!!!) and the samples I've heard are awesome. I think there are clips at Westerfeld's website.

The book raises questions on technology and the conservation of natural resources.

I love the illustrations; however some people have decided this a book for eight-year-olds because of them.

I had a signed copy but gave it away to someone who's a bigger fan of the series than I. Do I get the sympathy vote?

As for the series,

The Turkish War of Independence was a success, and we're introduced to another tough girl protag (in the second book, Behemoth.

And. . .Nikola Tesla.

And the meticulous research and creativity that went into creating this world and then fusing it with actual historical events.

Still one of my favorite YA series.

SusieBookworm (Susanna) said...

Thanks for the giveaway! I love steampunk for its creativity in imagining alternate worlds and history. The "what if?" scenarios that authors come up with are fascinating.

bookwormsusanna AT gmail DOT com