Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Style Brush Strokes 3 of 5: Appositives

What am I reading now? Stealing Mercy (Kristy Tate)
Free on Amazon? YES!
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? Wow--I loved this book! (Yes, that's a recommendation to read it.) I approach free books with a heavy dose of skepticism and if the book is "free/indie" even more, but I was drawn in immediately--first chapter is a great set up.
POP QUIZ 
( I am a teacher after all! ~ short answer and essay accepted)

What does a fireplace poker, pies & chocolates, a brothel, a ship and expensive jewels have in common? Oh, wait--I almost forgot the chinese throwing stars!
Okay. (I'll give you a minute to think . . . )

*buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz* Time's up!
The answer is 
True!
Enjoy reading this story. Get it HERE.

Style Brush Strokes Part 3 of 5
Image Grammar by Harry Noden
3•Appositive: restates the noun directly after the noun in a new way that adds detail or expands meaning
Example:
The raccoon enjoys eating turtle eggs.
The raccoon, a midnight scavenger who roams lake shorelines in search of food, enjoys eating turtle eggs.
Practice: Identify the appositive(s)
“Plowing through the choppy gray waters, a phalanx of ships bore down on Hitler’s Europe: fast new attack transports, slow rust-­‐scarred freighters, small ocean liners, channel steamers, hospital ships, weather-­‐beaten tankers, and swarms of fussing tugs. Barrage balloons flew above the ships. Squadrons of fighter planes weaved below the clouds.
(Cornelius Ryan—June 6, 1944: The Longest Day)

Apply: Rewrite a sentence from your current WIP inserting an appositive to describe, rename or give more precise meaning to an existing noun.
*Of all the brush strokes so far, this one seemed 
the easiest one for me.

2 comments:

Renae W. Mackley said...

Thanks for the brush strokes and I snagged the book. With a review like that . . .

Kristy said...

Wow, Canda, THANK YOU! Would you mind writing an Amazon review? I usually don’t ask, but I’m feeling a little beat up. Thank you again