Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Holiday Romance Happiness :)

What am I reading now?  3 Lovely Holiday Romances--Just in time to curl up with a stack of good books and a hot cup of cocoa, saying "Leave me alone--I'm at a really good part."

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  It is so fun to read some great romances and also get in the mood for the holiday season. Let's take them one at a time, shall we. . .

A Candlelight Courting (Joyce DiPastena)
This sweet medieval story (novella) is the moment Meg meets Burthred. They've been betrothed since she was born and he was 8 years old. Nearly two decades later, he meets her. Though he would have only her be his wife, she desires another life, one without him or any man. When her reasons are revealed, I loved her even more (and I think Burthred did too)!

A Cold Creek Noel (RaeAnne Thayne)
I didn't think I was the type for westerns of any kind--well, I was wrong--though not a true western, like with white and black hats and shoot-outs in a slot canyon somewhere. In fact this one starts in Ben's veterinary office. Caidy brings in one of her ranch dogs for emergency treatment. (This starts the country flavor to the setting.) She finds the new Vet completely rude (Caidy--advice to self--stop noticing how gorgeous he is and focus on the rude part.) This is a tender story of two people drawn together but each struggling with memories that make them wary of the attraction they feel. Sometimes there's just too much baggage to make something work, even when both Caidy and Ben want it to. But it's a small town; there's really no way to avoid each other. Yay!

A Timeless Romance Anthology, Winter Collection (Sarah M. Eden et. al.)

Travel back to Medieval England, Victorian times, and turn of the century New York. There are 6 heart-touching short stories of falling in love during the holidays. Normally I don't rate anthologies (because some of the stories are fabulous and some are usually horrid), but I'm breaking that rule today.
This anthology gets 5 stars.
There isn't a lemon in the whole bunch and I was so disappointed that there were no more stories to begin when I turned the last page. My only disappointment is that I purchased this as an ebook and now that I love it, I'm going to have to purchase the paper one and stalk author events to get it signed!

The last holiday read isn't a romance, but a tender family story instead:
Unexpected Angel (Janet K. Halling) 
Ella Davies hates Christmas. Every year she spends the holidays working, trying to forget the pain of a childhood tragedy that left her all alone. But this season, Ella's about to learn something only an angel could teach her. This modern twist on a Christmas classic will remind you that the best gifts of all are the loved ones you learn to treasure!

I usually give Writing Tips at the bottom of my blog each week--so here it is for this week. Stop writing and read, read, read. Then go back to reading and writing. Great advice, huh?

2 comments:

Jordan McCollum said...

Love those covers :) . And the writing tip, too—I think that's what I really need to do next.

Heather B. Moore said...

Thanks for posting the anthology. I can't wait to read the others as well!