Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Recipe--Pan Gravy

What am I reading now?  Accidentally Amish (Olivia Newport)

Annd . . . what do I think so far?  Annie Friesen has it all; young, beautiful, a great education, and her technology business is wildly successful. She also has a business partner who is attempting to claim her intellectual property and a kiss-and-steal ex-boyfriend and her business's lawyer who has been manipulating her for--how long? That's the question, isn't it? So as I said, she has it all, but now she has to fight to keep it. And hide a bit too.

     When she exiles herself to a small rural town in the mountains of Colorado, she finds herself questioning her own desires and values. Watching the lives of local Amish community members (particularly Rufus Beiler that makes her heart race) prods her to reexamine her future. She makes the only choice she can--she has to be true to herself.

     When I first started reading this book, I thought it might fit into the New Adult age group. That's a little out of the age range I usually go for on this blog; but I thought perhaps juniors and seniors would like to read it. I try to stick with the Young Adult category, books of interest in the 13-18 year-old group--junior high and high school students.

     Now that I've finished it, I don't think it's New Adult. It seems more adult Christian romance. Although the characters technically fit the age range for New Adult, the focus on family history ages it up for me. That said, I did enjoy the book.

Random Recipe Post
My Geneology--In a Foodie Way



My grandmother made a simple pan gravy that is a family favorite for us.


Fry pork chops in a little oil. Leave all the bits of drippings on the pan when you remove the chops.


Stir in heavy whipping cream and deglaze the pan. The cream takes on a light copper color. Yes, boiling the milk causes a skin to form as the gravy cools, so serve it hot.




We break chunks of French bread and dip it directly into the pan on the table.


So YUM!

2 comments:

Deanna said...

YUMMY!! one of my favorite meals, and SO easy to make. :)

Wanna read the book too, sounds interesting.

The Damsel in Dis Dress said...

Sounds like a fun book. I've always been fascinated by the Amish for some reason.