Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tension Times Two

What am I reading now?  Dearly, Beloved (Lia Habel)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  You know I loved the first book in this series! (And if you didn't know that you can read my review HERE.) This one is harder to define than the first. The story is growing and new characters are getting the spotlight. I like them and am looking forward to see how they all connect and interact in the coming books.
In the first book the zombies (those infected with the Laz) were obscure, hidden. Now that they are in the public -- and there are thousands -- public opinion is swaying toward persecution of the dead and the families of the dead.
Okay, granted some of the zombies want to eat anything and everything, but many don't and they want to be left alone to live their lives--deaths--existences.
Full on war is a reality and in the not too distant future.

This one is hard for me to rate.
     5 STARS for The Zombie Apocalypse
     4 STARS for Getting to know the new characters and setting up the continuing plot
     3 STARS for the romantic subplot, it kinda got left behind as the chapters flipped around as the multiple points of view being introduced.
OVERALL 4 STARS! I'll definitely continue to read this series.


Tension Times Two
Here’s another level of tension to look at—between two characters.

•Tension created by conflicting character goals

Inward thoughts are opposite of the outward actions and words toward another character

•The outcome is unknown because the characters are equally passionate about their position

•The interaction changes one of their lives

•Leave the scene with the definite feeling that it’s not over when it’s over

4 comments:

Lynnea (LaLa) said...

I am seriously jealous that you have already read this book. I loved the first one and can't wait to get the second one.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, yeah. Tension between characters can be huge!

Lo said...

Great review and tips on tension! I'm glad I found your blog. New follower!

Renae W. Mackley said...

Great reminder of how to add more tension between two. Thanks.