Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Footprints in the Snow"

What am I reading now?  Stolen Away (Alyxandra Harvey)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far? Funny thing that you can be a faerie princess and the faerie king wants to kill you and your protector is a bird (well a hot guy that shape shifts into a bird) and your mom and aunt have been lying to you forever so when this all starts happening it's too hard to believe even though your best friend believes you and oh, don't forget there's another hot guy (the evil king's son) who defies his father to help you--

See this sounds like other stories (I've) you've read, but it's also unique in the telling. I enjoyed the perspective of the two friends and the interaction between the sisters. I liked that the adults know something the kids don't (seemed real to me). I also thought about how kids get so much of their own identity from the way the adults in their lives (read parents here) treat them. So much of this book, although shrouded in paranormal, felt real.

Yes, this is a good read. It's a stand alone, so no cliffhanger that you have to wait a year to resolve. There were satisfying relationships and action.

I picked this book up because of the author's name. I love her Drake Chronicles (see my review of those HERE) and I'm adding this title to the list of books I'd recommend to my paranormal loving friends.

Footprints In the Snow
I want to make my novels more interesting. I want my readers to love my characters as much as I do, to want to know what happens next, to have hope for their futures and to fell loss when they struggle. So how does an author invite a reader into the head and heart of a character?

Gossip

That's right, good old fashioned, "grandma's in the kitchen telling scathing stories" of revenge, foolishness, poor choices, anger, ignorance. She laughing with her sisters and neighbors about people they know and don't know, telling unflattering stories at everyone's expense. They are the kind of stories though that makes anyone they talk about feel more human to you. Of course there's a healthy bit of judgment and humor that goes with the tellings as well. You don't want to miss one of those parties or leave the room at an inopportune time or you'll be the next topic of discussion. And we all got a file that we don't want to have opened in the public that is grandma's kitchen.

Just like those hen sessions (Grandpa's name for afternoon tea time), authors give the background to the pivotal moments that are etched on the character's--well character--and changed them to be the people they are today.

My goal for this week is to search my characters' histories and draw out the moments that shaped them into the people they are who make the choice they do in the story they have to tell.

Thought for the Day:

3 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Thus is great, Canda.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Thus is great, Canda.

Sheila said...

I love this idea! I'm writing about 3 teen girls, so this would be great for my characters! :)