Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Class of Words

What am I reading now?  Destiny Binds (Tammy Blackwell)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  Scout is AP book smart, quick witted, a fighter and snarky! She's a great character with a unique view on life and voice of her own. I didn't have any idea what the book was about (it had been sitting around patiently in my kindle account waiting for its turn to be read) before I read the first sentence. No, it didn't help me get my bearings in the book, but that's how long it took me to decide I would like reading this book. I enjoyed the funny dialogue and thoughts from Scout, especially her thoughts. :)

I love the characters (my faves: Scout and her best friend, Talley.) The boys are boys, gotta love them too. Enjoyed the plot, the pacing (not an action thriller, but enjoyable), the snark.

Sometimes I don't have high expectations of indie published books and am pleased when one of them is amazing. This one is (and it was $0.99--that's less than the price of bottle of Dr. Pepper). I was a little disappointed near the end, but then I remembered it is the first book of 3. Oh, yeah, 3. Okay, I can take a deep breath and not freak out! Then I went to Goodreads and put the next two in this series on my "To Read" list.

Have you been to this part of Thesaurus.com? 
Click on this link to see  ---->  Classes of Words
It's a fun place to wander around--especially of you have writer's block.
Like I do.
Sometimes.

I clicked on "Misjudgement".
It's interesting to see the concepts related to the words. It isn't just a list of synonyms, but a web of relationships. Like this one, that will not only give you choices of parts of speech but will also give you related causes for making a misjudgment.
Strolling through this list gave me new ideas for conflicts I could devise. Since the lists deal with concepts, they are great hooks into the themes we develop in stories. Sometimes when I feel blocked from writing it helps to reconsider 
different angles on the theme of my story.
Just another tool we can use.
Happy browsing!

2 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

I live on reference.com. I'm surprised I haven't seen this part before. I will be visiting it for sure!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I use thesaurus.com all the time. I'll have to look at that other one because I'm frequently frustrated that I know the word I'm looking for is kind of related to the one I'm looking up but it's not coming up as a synonym. Thanks!