Tuesday, February 21, 2012

What am I reading now? On Little Wings (Regina Sirois)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?

Jennifer's life feels like a lie when she finds a picture in a book of a woman that looks like her. When she asks her parents about it, she finds she's been lied to her whole life! Her mother isn't an only child, she has a sister--that Jennifer's never met or heard of. Against her mother's wishes she travels to Maine to meet the only family she will know on her mother's side. She also meets a neighbor, Nathan Moore, who's a little older than she is, and wonders what falling in love would be like. The story is a journey of Jennifer as she tries to piece together the  story of her mother and aunt's shattered relationship.

 The writing is beautiful and once the story got to Smithport, Maine I couldn't put it down. The characters set up a stage and lead you through complicated relationships in Jennifer's family and with the surrounding characters. Many parts made me laugh and several made me cry too.

Though the main character is sixteen, it doesn't read like a YA story. Because the story lines surround numerous middle aged + characters, I think it's much more suited to an older audience and would be a great book for book clubs.

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I loved this book. Thanks for your take on it.

Tapper said...

Dear Canda,
Thank you so much for reading and reviewing my novel. I am touched that you found value in it.
Best Wishes!
Regina

Donna K. Weaver said...

I've got my copy and it's coming toward the top of the list.

Carolyn Twede Frank said...

I've heard so many things about this book. I've got to read it.