Friday, February 17, 2012

Retellings

What am I reading now? Entwined (Heather Dixon)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? Love this beautiful, dark retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses.

As the princess, Azalea should be carefree. Dancing at balls. Choosing from among handsome suitors. Wearing beautiful gowns. But this isn't her life. Not since her mother died, leaving her to care for her eleven younger sisters without the help of the king, her grieving father. When they are required strict rules of mourning and forbidden to dance, Azalea leads her sisters into another world. But the enchantment of this hidden garden comes at a high price--maybe her life.

My favorite character in the book is Bramble, definitely Bramble. Here's a taste of her voice as she takes on their father, the king:
“Down with tyranny!' Bramble cried. 'Aristocracy! Autocracy! 
Monocracy! Other ocracy things! You are outnumbered, sir! Surrender!” 
I highly recommend this book.



Retellings

Here are some more of the retellings of stories that I absolutely love. I've read each of them several times!
Ella Enchanted (Gail Carson Levine)
Beastly (Alex Flinn)
Book of a Thousand Days (Shannon Hale)




What are some of your favorite retellings?

3 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I really enjoyed this book. And I agree, Bramble was a hoot, especially with the guy she was so mean to who loved her for it.

Cathy said...

I loved Beast by Donna Jo Napoli. A retelling of Beauty and the Beast from the Beast's point of view.

Mel - Thedailyprophecy. said...

Ohh, I loved this book so much <3

Cameron Dokey, Tracy Lynn, Suzanne Weyn are also great writers!