Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Hooks!

What am I reading now? Divergent (Veronica Roth)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?  I love this book!
If I could give it 6 stars on Goodreads, I would. I enjoy dystopian anyway and this one meets all the expectations I have for that genre. I especially like the segregation aspect of the book--the society is divided along values each group believes will lead the society as a whole to live peacefully and realize everyone's potential.

Right, it's dystopian. Living peacefully and realizing everyone's potential is sooooo not going to last!

Hooks!

This past Saturday, iWriteNetwork held its first Winter Workshop. One of the speakers, Greg Park ( the author of Veil of Darkness, Cleansing Hunt, and Children of Ta'shaen) taught a class on Hooks. Boy, did I need this class. I thought I had hooks on all my chapters and at the beginning of my book. During his class he presented some ideas and then gave us time to work on our own stories to incorporate the ideas.

Some of the ideas I took away from the session are:

The author needs to grab the reader from the first sentence, the first word. They may not give you a page to get around to making them have questions they must read on to get the answers for.

Scenery at the beginning is as boring as landscape pictures from someone's desert vacation. (Okay, not his example, but these are my take aways remember?)

Use the hook to identify the most important idea in your story. You don't have to present the idea at that point, just get the reader to ask questions about it.

Do not, DO NOT, jerk the reader around by having a hook that doesn't bear importance to the rest of the story.

5 comments:

Janiera said...

Great tips! I have definitely made the opening of my story as interesting as possible.

Taffy said...

Thanks Canda!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Divergent in on my Audible wish list, and I hope to get it in February. I have to decide if the new Bean book beats it out. =D

Great notes. Loved this class.

Cindy M Hogan said...

Divergent is my #1 pick for 2011, excluding my own book, of course.:)I love and hate it when a book has great hooks. Sometimes, I just can't put the darn things down.

kbrebes said...

Great advice!

I LOVE Divergent, too!!