Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Caramel Pie

What am I reading now?  Clockwork Prince (Cassandra Clare)

Annd. . . what do I think so far?  I love Will's character and hope he lives to complete the series. He's a little reckless--so endearing! Tessa is attracted to both Will and Jem. Jem seems like the sure bet as far as a good relationship goes. Where's the story in that? So of course, I'm expecting Will to have her heart. 

I haven't given you an original recipe lately. You'll love this one. I made it up for my husband's birthday. Yummy!

Caramel Pie
Crust:
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
3/4 cup corn flake crumbs (all graham crackers makes the crust too sweet)
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Mix together and press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake at 350 for 5 minutes. Chill completely before filling.

Filling:
1 bag white chocolate chips
4 tablespoons butter 
1/4 teaspoon rum extract
     Melt these together

3/4 cup milk
1 small package instant white chocolate pudding
     Mix together in small bowl
     Microwave for 20 second to take the chill off then mix with white chocolate mixture

2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped to stiff peaks

Fold both mixtures together.

Caramel Nuts:
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons water
1/3 cup pecans
     Boil together over medium heat then reduce to a simmer; cook until all the syrup is gone (about 6 minutes). Cool the nuts, spread out on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Stir occasionally to separate the nuts.

Assembly:
Squirt caramel topping randomly on the crust.
Spread half the filling mixture over the caramel.
Squirt more caramel topping over the filling.
Cover with remaining filling.

Chill for 2-3 hours. Serve with whipped cream and caramel drizzled over the top. Sprinkle with nuts.

Enjoy!
p.s. It's very rich.

6 comments:

Pam Williams said...

Ohhh! Get thee behind me!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yum! Good thing my hubby can't eat it, so I'm not likely to make it.

I just started listening to the Clockwork Angel. Miss Elizabeth Bennett is reading it. I love it!

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Holy cow! Just reading through those ingredients gives me a sugar overload. Thanks for sharing this. I bet my hub--and future daughter-in-law--will love it!

Cathy Witbeck said...

I'm always looking for a good book, and the pie looks divine. Thanks for sharing.

Valerie Ipson said...

Wow, that looks to die for!

Carlajo said...

I really, really want to read this new book, but I'm too busy! Maybe in January. I loved Clockwork Angel.