Saturday, October 1, 2011

Exploring Theme

What am I reading now?  Fragile Eternity (Melissa Marr)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far?  This is the third book in the series of (I think) 5. I enjoyed the first book Wicked Lovely.

If the first one was dark urban fantasy (which it is) then the second one (Ink Exchange) took a turn into an abyss. I didn't really enjoy it and ended out skipping a lot as I read, but I was assured that it would turn out okay and that I'd enjoy the rest of the series if I got through that one. (What is it about 2nd books?)

Okay, on to the third. Be warned, the series explores evil, faerie-style evil, and how it messes with mortal lives. The plots are interesting, the characters are memorable, the story is well written.

Making my Stories Stronger through Theme

I'm new to the writing novels thing. I began my first novel, Newbie, on Labor Day in 2009.

"What's it about?" you ask.

The housing market is crashing, and Sophie’s life is crashing with it. At twenty-four, her successful real estate career evaporates. She’s broke, can’t find a job or pay her bills. If something doesn’t come through soon, she will have to move home with her mother. Oh, and apparently her “boyfriend” is just a boy and a friend. All this leaves Sophie wondering how her successful lifestyle became so fragile.

"But what's it about?"

Here's what I'm just beginning to explore through my writing. When I read stories, I read about characters and plot to understand something much more universal--THEME. If I were more clear on this from the onset my description of Newbie would have included some different information, and my writing would have been better in that manuscript.  Second try at answering that question. . .



Sophie accepts a job in her fall-back career—teaching six-year-olds.  She hopes it’s temporary. After all, how long can a tanking economy last anyway? The best part of the new job is Liam, another employee at Rio Grande Elementary. The worst part of the new job is, well, teaching.  


She thinks she's making a monetary decision. What Sophie begins to realize is that the career choices she makes sets her on a path in life, adjusting her priorities, how she wants to see the world and who she will ultimately become. 



"Oh. I had a time like that in my life. It seemed hard at the time, but it turned out to be something really good."


Theme ties a story to the universal human experience. The audience connects with the theme and the scenes become more evidence for the universal truth.

**
PaRTy    SatUrDaY   8th    On    mY    BloG
Ya'll come back!

3 comments:

kbrebes said...

I loved Wicked Lovely, too! Yes, theme is GOOD!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Wonderful post, Canda. Theme can be critical.

Tina Scott, the writing artist said...

This was great. Thanks. We've been talking about theme in 6th grade where I work. Some of the kids don't get it, but you described it wonderfully.