Sunday, October 23, 2011

Conflict

What am I reading now?  So Silver Bright (Lisa Mantchev)

Annnd. . . what do I think so far? This is the third book in the series. I've enjoyed the first two so much that I snagged this copy the day it hit the bookstore. Then I loaned it out to be read by others, but now it's my turn.

Conflict

This past Saturday, I interviewed Tristi Pinkston for iWriteNetwork BlogTalkRadio. She talked about the importance of creating, managing and intensifying conflict in our stories.

Here are a few things I gleaned form  her words that I can apply to my writing immediately:

Set up conflicts in scenes by creating a twist. Start with details that match the opposite of what you are going to hit the reader with so when you switch to the emotion you want to give impact to. The example she used was of a character walking alone on a beautiful, summer night. Maybe crickets are chirping. The character might notice the stars or a welcome breeze. Then the crickets stop. The character suddenly realizes how alone and vulnerable they are. They notice a twig snap. . .

•After you've written a first draft, return to scenes to make word choice adjustments that will match the conflict and mood.

Align the character gestures with conflict and mood. Instead of using a common word--walked--use one that carries emotion with it--slid, roamed, staggered. . .

And possibly the most important tip she gave is:
Conflict--it's all about the emotional reveals and emotional connections in every scene.
To listen to her interview go to
Click on BlogTalkRadio
Then click on Tristi's interview.

3 comments:

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

That is fabulous advice.
I will be looking for word choice changes...
Thanks ladies!

kbrebes said...

nice--Tristi's Fab

Donna K. Weaver said...

I'm so copying this.