Saturday, September 17, 2011

Bridge Characters

What am I reading now?  Bloodlines (Richelle Mead)

Annnd . . . what do I think so far?   At a hundred pages in, I wasn't sure what the main character really wanted. I just finished the book and I'm still not sure. Maybe it's just a slower start than I'm used to from this author. The Vampire Academy series was way action packed. This one--not so much.


Bridge Characters
This past Thursday, Kiersten White spoke to our book club via Skype. If you get a chance to hear her speak. you should. She's a lot of fun--I can see why her character Evie has such an interesting voice--Kiersten does!

We were discussing her book, Paranormalcy. When she talked about the different characters, something she said stood out to me.

She was talking about Lend, Evie's boyfriend. She said Lend is the "bridge" character. He had part of this life firmly in the paranormal and another part in the human world. But unlike Evie, he's fine with that. A bridge character helps the Protagonist see their situation in a new way.

Other books use this technique too. Hermoine could be a bridge character for Harry Potter because she's a muggle that's fine with being magical. That might help Harry come to terms with his own magic.

Are there others you can think of?

2 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I wasn't sure I was going to start Mead's new series, since I was kind of disappointed with how she ended the Vampire Academy series. But a coworker said it was worth the read and involved characters we loved from VA, so I've got it downloaded and will begin listening to it once I get past the 200 word mark on my query.

John Waverly said...

I haven't read Paranormalcy yet, but it's on my list to read. It has a great title and I've heard good things about it.

I've thought about bridge characters before and have them in some of my stories, but I've never thought about them formally. Thanks for sharing this tip.