Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bad Verb Day

What am I reading now?  Seeking Persephone (Sarah M. Eden)

Annnd. . . what do I think so far?  What a fun read. Sarah has a knack for humor and tension. Laugh one minute, cry the next--in a good way.

I wondered about the beginning, the Duke decides he needs a wife, so he arranges to pay large sums of money to Persephone's family in exchange for her marrying him. Out of the blue. Sight unseen. Without warning. Nope never met before. Someone else arranged the marriage.

Does all this hit you as awkward?  Ding! Ding! Exactly why I loved the book.

Bad Verb Day

You've heard of a bad hair day, right?

You slept on it wrong.

Or curled it wrong.








Or grew it wrong.

What ever.



It just turned out bad.


Well, this is just like that. Only it's verbs instead of hair.

Dull: The dirt road was beside the river.
Shiny: The dirt road swayed with each curve of the river.

Limp:  She was a witch.
Curly: She stretched her crooked finger toward the cottage and blasted a curse upon all who lived there.

Thin: Falling leaves are beautiful.
Full: Red and gold leaves tumble end over end and whirl in invisible eddies.

"To be" verbs  tell. When we switch them out, the sentences show.

I know--we don't want to edit out all the "to be" verbs. Shakespeare himself did shy away when they were needed. 
"To be or not to be, that is the question."

5 comments:

RaShelle Workman said...

Great examples of changing up the verbs. Are those your kids? Adorable. And SEEKING PERSEPHONE - I love the title.

Jodee said...

Once you're done with Seeking Persephone you need to read Courting Miss Lancaster. It is about Persephone's sister. Then there is Kiss of a Stranger which is unrelated but mentions Keilder.

Canda said...

RaShelle--My kids, kinda, sorta. My granddaughters.

Jodee--I know I love Sarah's books.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Isn't "Seeking Persphone" a delight. I was already crushing on Adam in "Courting Miss Lancaster" but we really get to see so much more of him. Delightful book. It's making its way around my office right now. One coworker said these are books she'll read over and over again, so she's going to get her own copies.

kbrebes said...

Great showing sentences, Canda! Cute grandkids!