Saturday, August 27, 2011

Foreshadowing

What am I reading now? Impossible (Nancy Werlin)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far? At first, this seems like a contemporary YA fiction--but it's not. Lucy thinks she's living a normal life--nope again. At seventeen, she's the latest victim in a centuries old Elfin curse. Reads a bit like a Grimm's fairy tale, you know the version you wouldn't read as a bedtime story.

FORESHADOWING

Larry Brooks (in Story Engineering) says that foreshadowing is a glimpse of a forthcoming plot point or characterization. I'm heading into revision in a couple of weeks with my current story and this is one of the goals I've set to practice in that manuscript.

So I went looking. (Hm, these might be spoilers--just sayin'.)


Perfect Chemistry
(Simone Elkeles)
Chapter 3: Boring? I almost got in an accident, was flipped off by a girl from the south side, and was harassed by a dangerous gang member outside the school's front doors. If that was any indication of the rest of the senior year, this school will be anything but boring.
     *Thought this was a little synopsis  of the first chapter when I first read it. It took on more meaning later.


The Morning Gift (Eva Ibbotson)
Prologue: "It's Mozart, isn't it?"... "Yes. The Adagio in B Minor." He finished playing and looked at her and found her entirely pleasing. He liked her fair hair in its old-fashioned heavy plait, her snub nose, the crisp white blouse and pleated pinafore. Above all he like the admiration reflected in her eyes. "I mustn't disturb you, " she said. He shook his head. "I don't mind you being here if you're quiet," he said. ... "Mozart had a starling," Heini said. "He kept it in a cage in a room where he worked and he didn't mind it singing ... Did you know that?" "No I didn't." He watched the thick plait of hair swing to and fro as she shook her head. Then: "You can be my starling," Heini said.
     *I didn't realize during the reading of this that the cage was significant, as was his dispassionate look as he appraised her appearance.


Shiver
(Maggie Steifvater)
Page 43: "My heart ached inside me, torn between wanting them to stop and wishing they would go on forever. I imagined myself there among them in the golden wood, watching them tilt their heads back and howl underneath the sky of endless stars. I blinked a tear away, feeling foolish and miserable, but I didn't go to sleep until every wolf had fallen silent."
     *Foreshadowing for this book and the third in the series.

Larry Brooks states that sometimes when you want the foreshadowing obvious, connect it to emotion, if you want the foreshadowing to be subtle then we should "allow it to pass without much notice."

So here's a goal going on my revision list: Weave in foreshadowing of meaningful events and characterization.

3 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

Holy cow, Canda. How many books can you get through?

Stacy Henrie said...

That's a great thing to keep in mind when editing - thanks, Canda.

I left you an award on my blog.

Canda said...

Donna: Not as many as I'd like. :)

Stacy: Thanks! You have beautiful pictures of your West Coast trip. Loved them. http://stacyhenrie.blogspot.com/