Saturday, July 23, 2011

Update on Queries

What am I reading now? Forever (Maggie Stiefvater)

Annnd. . . what do I think so far? At the end of the first book (Shiver) I was so happy for Grace and Sam. At the end of book 2 (Linger) I wanted to scream--Oh wait--I did! Just finished book 3 (Forever), great ending. It had a couple of ways I thought it might go. Either way would have been satisfying. The author went one way then the other, and I kept wondering which way it would end. Yup--I recommend this series. Especially now that all three books are out and you wouldn't have to wait a year between each to find out what happens next.

Update on Queries and What I've Learned

The results of querying for Wish Thief so far are:
Send the full manuscript, no, no, not for me, no, doesn't fit my list, no thanks, no, no, no, please send a full manuscript, no, not interested, no, no, not the one for you, please send 50 pages and a synopsis, no, no, and no.

Something I've had to learn is how to write a short synopsis--they're tough. How do you tell your story in 2 pages when it took you 200 pages to tell your story?

At first, I went through each chapter and summarized it. Then I went back and removed the subplots from the summaries. Still about 9 pages long!

Then I completely switched gears and decided to use story structure to write the summary. I'm not saying I'm there and this is the only way to do it, but I wrote a short 3-5 sentence paragraph for each of these:

          1.  Hook
          2.  Status Quo and Conflict Introduced


          3.  Main Character Decision and first attempts
          4.  MidPoint and actions/failures
          5.  Main Character Loss
          6.  The Final Piece needed to triumph
          7.  Final Confrontation and resolution
          8.  Wrap up


The finished product made more sense when I was done, and it cut out the parts that make the story interesting but would have cluttered the synopsis. 
Um, just checked my email--add another no.

1 comment:

Rachel Rager said...

I read Shiver and enjoyed it! I really need to read the whole series now that Forever is out! I enjoyed her Fairey books too!