Friday, July 15, 2011

It Isn't Art

Ali Cross is sponsoring a Blog-Fest.
The theme is "Independence Day...And something unexpected happens" in 250 words. To see the other entries click on Ali's BLOG.
Here's my entry:

It Isn't Art


            A couple steps into the gallery, pausing just behind me to the left. “The composition is off, isn’t it? Too heavy on this side,” she asks.
            “The buildings and rubble spreading into the road make it feel as if the whole world is tipping,” he says.
            “Like the photo was taken before the artist had decided the focal point.”
            “Yes, you’d think so, but perhaps that’s the very thing the photographer wanted. How he made that man, there, seem isolated and alone.”
            Drawn to the framed, black and white image again, my eyes find my own. Yes, isolated. Alone. The war was over. We were celebrating victory, but I felt the weight of loss. This war is sealed in black and white.
Framed in smooth wood.
Hung on chalky walls.
Displayed.
Critiqued.
            We were supposed to think in black and white. How many friends died? Don’t think about it—celebrate. Who will rebuild the nations? Don’t question—kiss your girl.
            My home, my wife, my children were purchased with Doug and Kurt and thousands more face down in mud and shattered glass. Shut down those memories. Lock them away. I can’t. I’m pressed behind that glass. Preserved. That moment suspended to live eternally.
            “That’s the balance the artist wants. One man on this side, full of sorrow. A crumbling world on the other side." The man steps around me and reaches a finger to point.
            Don’t touch my memory calls. It isn’t art.
My heart slams shut.

13 comments:

Lacie Myers said...

I have a thing for metaphors, and you have used them beautifully here! Great job! Excited to see what you write in the future.

Brianna said...

This read like poetry. Beautiful.

Gail said...

Wow! This is so powerful. Great writing.

Debbie Davis said...

canda great writing as always! this is highly emotional and wonderful! I am glad you did the blogfest! =0)

Karen Hoover said...

Wow. Just--wow. I am totally moved by this. I'm so glad I had the privilege of reading it, and that's what it feels like. A privilege. Fantastic job!

Mel Fowler said...

Flash fiction is just so fun, you get to read so many different stories. It's awesome! Good job Canda!

ali said...

This was so powerful and deep. Thanks for sharing it Canda. ((hugs))

Nisa said...

This breaks my heart. Beautiful writing!

Mary Campbell said...

So sad, so deep. I enjoyed your prose and the details in the writing.

Kayeleen Hamblin said...

This was beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

Stacy Henrie said...

Very lyrical and poignant. Nice job, Canda!

Cathy Witbeck said...

Nicely done, Canda. You must be an artist at heart.

Donna K. Weaver said...

That's beautiful, Canda. Well done.