Saturday, July 30, 2011

Incongruity

What am I reading now?  Uncommon Criminals (Ally Carter)

Annnd. . . what do I think so far?  Oh--I love this series. I want to be a thief, who steals to return lost items. The only down side I can see is that this book (#2 in the series) just came out in June--does that mean the next one will be 11 months away?
Grrr

Incongruity
Wednesday night at the LUW (League of Utah Writers) meeting, we had three mini-lessons on different aspects of writing. One of them was on using incongruity to grab and hold your readers' attention. So here's the activity. Get a blank paper and a pencil.  (No really, get up and get them.  I'm waiting. . . kinda sorta.)

Okay now make a grid with 10 spaces. It will look like this:

Now, we brainstorm! The top box is reality (maybe even cliche' ideas), the bottom box is craziness on crack. These are the surprises you can work into your story. Don't hold back 'cause you only have 30 seconds per box.

We brainstormed "Execution". You can do any word you want, to match your plot or scenes.

Set the timer on your phone for 30 seconds. Ready. Set. Go.

Did you come up with anything wild and funny? Please share!


2 comments:

Donna K. Weaver said...

I wanted to come to that meeting, but I also wanted to listen to the Authors Advisory call with Janette Rallison. Tough when I have to choose between two good things.

Rachelle said...

I really like that--how fun! I'm going to have to try it out. I've done something similar when I'm looking for a great twist in my plot. Thanks for sharing.