Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Art of Writing





What am I reading now?  Fins are Forever (Tera Lynn Childs)

Annnd. . . what do I think of it so far?  This is a follow up to Forgive My Fins. Don't you love the blue and green on the cover. In the last book, Lily decided to give up Quince, the boy she was accidently bonded to. Who knew kissing could have such a permanent effect? Nope. No idea. Then she decided to give up the kingdom--did I mention she's the princess? She is, was. I wonder though if she will complete the abdication in this book. See she didn't actually sign, but she plans to, when she turns 18. Hmmm. . . but being a teenager in a paranormal romance is like living the inverse of doggie years. You can have five years of adventures in one school year, and still have a 300 page summer fling too.



Art of Writing 



A couple of weeks  ago, I was teaching a class about literacy and a teacher made a comment that we need to consider how integrating the arts into our reading and writing instruction would improve lesson engagement and motivation. True, reading and writing about the real world give kids strong connections to improve in academics.







The thought has twisted around in my brain a bit since then. I've been thinking not only about integrating the subjects but also about how appreciation of one art form feeds the appreciation of another, specifically how the appreciation of art can lead to a better understanding of how composition works.




I began making a comparison between some basic elements of each:

     •Line (movement) ----> Plot
     •Shape (balance and tension) -----> Scenes
     •Tone (contrasts) -----> Obstacles
     •Color (the pallet used and white space) -----> Voice
     •Pattern (relationships) -----> yup, Relationships
     •Texture (brush strokes) -----> salient Details

How do you look at composition? 

3 comments:

Brenda Sills said...

I love your post about the art of writing! It gets my mind thinking in new, exciting directions! You did such a fantastic job of telling us about your amazing, epiphanous thoughts! Thanks!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I like your comparisons. I'm not that orderly up front in my writing.

Carlajo said...

I love Janet Evanovitch's description of a book being like a train. It's in her book HOW I WRITE. It just popped into my brain when I read your question and refused to let anything else in. Check it out.