Monday, June 6, 2011

Sugar Cups with Candied Almonds

What am I reading giving away now?  Matched (Ally Condie)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far what's the blurb? Cassia has to decide if perfect is perfect for her. Decisions really haven't been too tough--especially because in her society there aren't many they get to make. What to wear? No. What to do? No. Who to marry? - - - maybe.
Genre: YA Dystopian

Oh--did I mention this is a signed copy!

Here's the cover for the next book in this series--love it!
Sugar Cups with Candied Almonds
When I was little, my mom would make sugar eggs for Easter. They were two halves that were hollow because of the mold. She would leave a hole in one side. Then we decorated them with royal frosting and put a nest with robin eggs inside, sealing the two halves together. 

Here's my innovation on the idea. I used a small votive cup for the mold. Then filled it with Candied Almonds. Here's the recipe for both.

Sugar Cups: 
•Mix 2 cups sugar with 2 teaspoons of highly colored water and press mixture into a mold. 
•They take several days to dry.

Candied Almonds:
•Mix 6 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons cinnamon, 2 teaspoons cloves, 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper. 
•Blanch 1 1/2 cups whole almonds in boiling water for 1 minute. 
•Dab off excess water and toss in sugar mixture to coat.
•Place nuts on a cookie sheet
•Sprinkle with another sugar mixture (1 teaspoon cayenne pepper and 1/4 cup sugar)
•These taste best 1-2 days after making them.

More Books to Win
Click here to go over to Deanna's Blog. She's having a Summer Book Party too.

3 EASY Steps to win Matched
1. Become a Follower of my blog. 
2.  Leave a comment. (If it doesn't work here, put it on my Facebook page)
3.  Check back to see if you won or to sign up for other book give-aways.

12 comments:

Taffy said...

I really enjoyed this book! Thanks for the giveaway, Canda!
Now over to your daughters blog I go...


taffy(dot)lovell@gmail.com

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Ooh - I totally loved Matched . . . I have the book but it's not signed by Ally. Oh yes, I'm a long time follower. Thanks, Canda!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Wow. They've got the cover ready for the next book? Woot!

I've got everyone in my office reading the series. =D

Noble M Standing said...

I used to love those sugar eggs. I got one every year from my grandma. I'd love a copy of matched, that and Paranormalcy are on my to buy list.

Susan Yorgason said...

Such a wonderful book and author! I would love to own it, and read it with Aubrey. I have a heck of a time getting her to read, but I think if we took turns reading it aloud this summer, it might turn into a great experience for both of us. Thanks! :)

SaMarenda said...

Oh I really want this one!!!

Angie said...

Mmmmm. That sounds good. Matched looks like a great book too!

Canda said...

From Facebook:
Hi Canda,
April Price Leder commented on your link.
April wrote: "I'd love to be in this drawing!"

See the comment thread

Reply to this email to comment on this link.
Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Cindy M Hogan author of Watched said...

Pick me, pick me

Brenda Sills said...

I would love to have this book! I bought it for my daughter for her birthday, but I want one too! Thanks for the chance! :D

Natalie Kay said...

I've heard matched is so good!!

Alex Hoagland said...

My Mom made these (as if I'd ever cook :) ) and they were amazing. So thanks!

http://chaotic-gibberish.blogspot.com