Tuesday, June 28, 2011

So Sad! Last book in the Blogk Party.

Well, this has been a fun party! I've given away a book on all the even days in June. This is the last one--to be given away on the 30th.
What am I giving away now?  Ninth Ward (Jewell Parker Rhodes)

Annnd. . . what's the blurb? Wow--powerful emotions--love, friendship, family
Twelve-year-old Lanesha lives in a tight-knit community in New Orleans' Ninth Ward. She doesn't have a fancy house like her uptown family or lots of friends like the other kids on her street. But what she does have is Mama Ya-Ya. So when Mama Ya-Ya's visions show a powerful hurricane—Katrina—fast approaching, it's up to Lanesha to call upon the hope and strength to help them both survive the storm.

To enter the drawing:
1) Be a follower
2) Leave a comment
3) Check back to see if you win

Visit Deanna's blog to sign up for books too--click HERE to pop over and enter.

I Love to Read
That's the phrase I want to hear every child say. A couple of years ago, my supervisor asked me what I thought might be the most important thing we could do to improve literacy.

My answer was to convey to every reader the idea of authorship. That children understood that a book represents a person who has a story to tell them or ideas to present to them. If that author could sit beside them on the couch and share those words, our understanding would be increased through that conversation. But they can't. So they wrote those ideas down and offer them to us through a book. We, as readers, carry on a conversation with the author of every book we pick up.

Helping children read to understand the author's message and to make their own meaning is the purpose of reading, the motivation of reading and in fact--it is reading itself.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I've heard amazing things about this book, but never read it. Looks like it really needs to move to the top of my reading list.

SaMarenda said...

I would like to read this one. It sounds great!

Liz said...

Looks like another great picture book. We would love to read it.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Sounds like a cool book. I've been a voracious reader for about as long as I can remember. Well, once I got past the teacher I hated and refused to read for. I was a horrible child. Bad seed potential.

Andrea Campbell said...

Sounds like another good one!

franklycreative said...

Canda, you are so amazing, giving away all of those books. I hope your blog booms.

Matthew Tandy said...

Canda, I just wanted to say... you are one follower away from 100!!! Great job!