Thursday, June 30, 2011

Guns and Writers?

What am I reading now? City of Fallen Angels (Cassandra Clare)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far? Well, I finished it. Have you noticed how many books are part of a series? Not just a trilogy but 5, 6, 10-book series? I think my limit is 3 to 4 books per series. I was content to let the end of the story be City of Glass. This felt like a brand new series to me, but I think I'm done. The book itself was well written, the characters interesting, the premise fit with the other books. Really nothing bad to say--just it's like having a house guest that's worn out their welcome. Time to move on.
     Cassandra Clare is the author, and I'm all over her next series that's a prequel to the City of. . . Series. I hope it wraps up before I get worn out.

Cheri--you won Wolves, Boys and Other Things that Might Kill Me!
Andrea--you won Ninth Ward!

Guns and Writers
Our online writers' group (Authors Incognito) got together for a quarterly activity. One of the lively chats a couple of months ago was about details for scenes several of us were writing and needed information on shooting guns.

So, an activity was planned for us by a member, Nichole, and we went to a shooting range and had some experience.

Here's the proof.

Yeah, I pinged one of the metal targets with a handgun and got the bad guys on the paper targets when I shot a rifle.

Do you think it's possible to write realistically without writing from experience?

3 comments:

Nichole Giles said...

Sure it's possible. But if you get something wrong, someone, somewhere, will notice, and your mistake, however tiny, could take them out of the story. So I think that, whenever possible, it's really important to do as much research and experience as much as possible before you write that scene.

But that's just my opinion.

Andrea Campbell said...

Thanks Canda! I'm excited to read it!

Donna K. Weaver said...

I SO wanted to be there. Had to work though.

I started City of Fallen Angels and set it aside. I enjoyed the first three books and was looking forward to this one because I love Simon and expected it to be his story. I got frustrated that decided to rehash Jace's identity angst. We've done that already. And bringing back Jonathan? She couldn't come up with a new nemesis? Like you, I think I'm done.