Sunday, June 5, 2011

Critiques

What am I reading giving away now?  Willow (Denise Brennan-Nelson and Rosemarie Brennan)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far what's the blurb? What happens when creativity runs wild? Art!
Genre: Children's Picture Book

Ooh--I love this book!

Critiques
Aprilynne Pike spoke to our Book Club a couple of months ago and made a statement that became real for me this week. She said the critique that offends you is the one you should pay attention to. The story I've been working on for the last few months opens with the Main Character dead. She has a chance to look back at how that happened. I've shared the story with critique partners in different situations--so about 10 other authors. They all concur--start with how the death happened instead of using a flashblack to show it.

No. I'm the author of this story. I can listen, but ultimately I have to make the decisions and live with them.

Well, I reconsidered it this week. How can TEN great writers all say the same thing and all be wrong? So, I changed it. Read it. Considered it. And it's much better. Yup, they were right.  It's okay that they're all reading this blog now and saying, "Told you so!" I'm happy they were right--it's a stronger hook. Thanks!







More Books to Win
Click here to go over to Deanna's Blog. She's having a Summer Book Party too.

3 EASY Steps to win Willow
1. Become a Follower of my blog. 
2.  Leave a comment. (If it doesn't work here, put it on my Facebook page)
3.  Check back to see if you won or to sign up for other book give-aways.

3 comments:

Brenda Sills said...

Thanks for your great insight! Whoa- it's painful, but so good for a story. I guess the painful things in life really do make us stronger. I'm so glad you shared your experience. :)

Gayle said...

We have not come across Willow yet, but it looks like a fun book that my girls would adore.

I am not a writer (just a reader!) but I certainly respect all the hard work -- and multiple revisions -- that go into a project.

Mrs. Dean said...

Loved your post!