Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yummy Lemon Cake

What am I reading now? Stolen (Lucy Christopher)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far? Have I ever read a book in second person before? Nope. Don't think so. This one is. The narrator is speaking to her captor. It's a little unsettling as she reveals what she thought, what she noticed about him and what she begins to realize what things mean and what they didn't mean. Having fun with this.  :)

YUMMY LEMON CAKE

Here's our dessert on Sunday! I made it as a trial run. My granddaughter's first birthday is in a couple of weeks, and we are trying to decide which cakes to serve. This one is definitely in the running.

It's a lemon cake--the kind out of the box--but I bake it in three 6" pans and cool. Then cut two of the cakes into halves (making 5 layers). Start by stacking the uncut cake on the bottom.

The frosting is made from canned lemon frosting mixed with a small can of marshmallow fluff and one package of melted white chocolate chips.

I frost between each layer and sprinkle in blueberries (lots of blueberries). I push some bamboo skewers into the cake to keep the layers straight. Finally, frost the outside and garnish with more blueberries. If you have time to chill it in the fridge for an hour or two, it's a little firmer to slice. But I often just serve the cake as soon as it's assembled.

This is a tall cake so serve the slices thin--figure about 12 servings. Lemon cake with lemon frosting can be so tangy-sweet it's hard to eat, but this one has blueberries that soften the sweetness. Lemon and blueberries go great together. ENJOY!

2 comments:

Cindy M Hogan author of Watched said...

The book sounds like a trip and the cake looks fabulous

Donna K. Weaver said...

Oh, you're making me hungry -- plus I'm trying to be good. And somehow cake's never one of the be good foods.

Did it taste as good as it looks?