Sunday, May 15, 2011

Do you ever feel like this?

What am I reading now?  Illusions (Aprilynne Pike)
Annnd. . .  what do I think so far?  I'm so glad to see Tamani back in the story. Yeah, David's hot too. That's not the point. Laurel will choose whoever she chooses. But Tamani, he's the one with mystery, loyalty, sacrifice. He's the one who is compelling. I want to read more about his story. What was he up to? Why did he leave so suddenly? Why has he shown up here--now?

Do you ever feel like this?
A couple of days ago I was straightening some books and I moved my computer out of the way by setting it inside the baby carrier. When I finished with the books, I turned to pick up my computer again and had to take this picture.

It hit me then how much I'm learning and still need to learn about writing and the publishing industry. The LDStorymakers conference was in Salt Lake City last weekend. There was so much to take in--

I started writing fiction a year and a half ago--it's so much fun. But it's still just a baby. I want to see it grow. That takes time and practice and patience.

What do you think is the most important thing you have done to help grow your craft?

6 comments:

kbrebes said...

Cute post...your laptop in a car seat! There are so many things that are helping my writing to grow. I don't think I can decide which is the best!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Attending conferences, absolutely. Listening to what other authors, both published and not yet published, have to say. Being willing to try new things and let go of my own ego to do it.

Cathy Witbeck said...

Conferences have been great. Having other writers critique my work has been invaluable.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Love the pic! =D

I only get one choice? I've learned tons attending conferences and learning from other writers. I've learned from my critique group (painful as it is sometimes). Reading. Gotta read to see how other do it successfully (or not).

Rachelle said...

I can't wait to read that book. Man, my list of to-read is so long!!!
I love that pic and your thoughts on writing. Keep up the good work. :)

Jordan McCollum said...

Everything everyone else has said is great, so I'll add something different: classes. Not every writing class (or craft book, if that counts) helps, but in the last couple years, it's been the specific hands-on classes that I've taken that have helped push me to the next level.