Monday, April 11, 2011

Do you judge a book by its cover?





What am I reading now?  Glimmerglass (Jenna Black)

Annnd. . . what do I think so far? Dana's mother is a drunk, unfortunately a public drunk. They move frequently to hide Dana from her dad. Her dad is a powerful member of the Seeley Court. (Oh, she finds out later he's a Seeley Prince. Mom could have been a little more specific up front.) Dana decides to run away to Avalon to find her dad. Anything's got to be better than her life now. Not! Her Aunt Grace picks her up at the airport then locks her in a dungeon in her basement. Then Dana was saved/captured by Ethan and his sister, Kimber. Again, not what it seems to be. This one has lots of twists. Kind of glad the sequel is already out so I don't have to wait for the story to continue.

"You can't  judge a book by its cover."
Well--you can.
I do.
Sometimes.

Some books I've picked up just because I like the dress on the cover:

Or the jewelry.


Maybe I like the metaphor,
of being trapped,






Or fallen
Bad title? (Jessica's Guides to Dating on the Dark Side) Yes. Good book? Yes!







Bad cover? Yes. (The upside down wolf is odd) Good book? Definitely.






So do you judge a book by its cover? Have you picked up a book because of the cover? Or liked a book in spite of the cover?

5 comments:

Wendy Swore said...

I can't read the second to the last book (with the bad title). what is it?

Alas, I do judge the covers too. Sometimes I'm suprised and like a book with a crappy cover, but often the first impression carries over to the rest of the book.

Wendy Swore said...

And by the way, Looking at the books on the side of your blog here, I've read most of the ones I see there. We must have awesome taste. Great minds and all that... :)

Canda said...

The book is "Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side." Love it!

franklycreative said...

I am most definately influenced by the cover. If its ugly, I won't even pick it up to read the blurbs on the back cover. I realize I could be missing out on some good stuff, but, oh well, marketing does have its place.

Cindy M Hogan said...

I always judge a book by its cover, even if it's recommended to me. But, if the cover stinks and someone recommended it, I'll still read it. So excited you sent us here to vote. I realized I'm not following your blog. I remedied that. I need to pick your brain about how you got the covers of books on your blog and how you get all the cool counters and such.
Cindy H cindymhogan.blogspot.com