Wednesday, March 2, 2011

First 5 Pages

What am I reading now?  Wolves, Boys and Other Things That Might Kill Me (Kristen Chandler)
Annnd. . . what do I think of it so far?  Not a werewolf in the whole book--true--not even paranormal. Kristen nailed small-town-ness in this book, making it so fun to read. The characters are lovable, the story believable and compelling. No love triangle, although there is a love interest, the story isn't about romance.

She was fun to listen to as well. She shared a few secrets with us about her next book. How would it be to travel to tropical locations to do "research" for your next book? 
GREAT! 


First 5 Pages (by Noah Lukeman)
Remember a few weeks ago I asked "So, I finished Wish Thief, now what?" I've been learning about revision and editing since that time. I've started The First Five Pages, but I'm determined to read it SLOWLY. Right-slowly. Each chapter looks at how to edit and revise the first 5 pages of your MS, so a prospective agent or editor will ask for more. (By the way: that means whatever you do to the first 5 pages, you should do all the way through.) 


Here's a teaser for why you want this book.
The chapter I'm working on right now is about taking out the extra adjectives and adverbs. I've heard that before, many times, but I didn't know how to do it. This chapter gives steps: Take them out and list alternatives for the boring ones. Strengthen the verbs and nouns where you removed the modifiers. Only put back ones where the noun or verb is not strong enough without it. Finally, every now and again put in a simile or metaphor instead of the modifier. 


So, I'm reading this slowly and trying to revise with this step in mind. Also, I'm trying to draft this way in the first place. It's tricky. :)

7 comments:

franklycreative said...

Sounds like some good tips.

C. K. Bryant said...

I have this book and LOVE it. Keep reading. HUGS

ali said...

Wow Canda, I'm so impressed with how hard you are working! I've never even heard of this book, so I'm gonna add it to my list. Thanks!

kbrebes said...

Wow! Sounds cool! Must get it!

Canda said...

Oh, Ali! I just saw your cute picture added to the followers. Thanks!

Wendy Swore said...

It always takes me forever to read technical books like that. It's almost like my brain can only soak up so much at once. Sounds like a good one.

Renae W. Mackley said...

I like your "What I'm reading now" entries with what you think about it so far. Keep up the good work!