Saturday, February 19, 2011

Looky-looky

What am I reading now?  Mark Of Royalty
 (Jennifer K. Clark  and Stephonie K. Williams)
Annnd. . . what do I think so far?  Finished it. I liked the twists between the sisters and the love interests in this historical romance. I've already passed it on to one of my daughters to read. She will love it too.
Looky-looky. I passed the half-way mark in Damnation.
Yay, 25,056 words!
The first half of the books are always the hardest for me.
So many decisions to make. I've changed character names 3 times.
Taken out whole scenes that went nowhere, but took time to write.
I'm excited to write the next part. Stay tuned I'll update the meter as the story grows.


Shared Reading
One of my favorite times of the day for teaching first graders (or 2nd, 3rd, or 4th for that matter) is Shared Reading. We read fun books or poems together and learn about words. Why I like it? Reading together builds community, pricks curiosity, fosters safety in reading, plus it's fun-fun to play with words.

Here's a poem I wrote to use with my students. If you'd like to use some of my poems in your class, download this document with poems and teaching ideas you might use.

Dear Tooth Fairy
by Canda Mortensen

My tooth is loose.
It's hanging down.
It wiggles and squiggles
And turns around.

My tooth is loose.
It hangs by a thread,
And swings and flings
Inside my head.

My tooth WAS loose.
I wrote this note,
Because it slid
Right down my throat:

"Dear Tooth Fairy,
Please send money,
Anyway!"

2 comments:

Jennifer K Clark said...

I'm glad you liked Mark of Royalty, and thanks for coming to the book launch!

kbrebes said...

Adorable poems! Just LOVED them!