Saturday, December 4, 2010

Teachers' Book Club

What am I reading now? Agent in Old Lace (Tristi Pinkston)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? I'm in the middle, so I'm dying to know what happens with the romance and is the danger she is in going to peak soon. It's a little tense right now.
By the way--Tristi Pinkston is hosting an absolutely huge contest over on her blog to celebrate the release of her new book, "Dearly Departed." A new prize will be offered every twenty-four hours, books, jewelry, perfume, movies, and the grand prize is a free night's stay at the Lion Gate Manor in Lava Hot Springs. Visit Tristi's blog for rules and more details. http://www.tristipinkston.blogspot.com
(I'm giving the Kindle app on my phone another go with this book. It is kind of weird turning pages every 3 or 4 paragraphs, but it is great that I always have several books in my purse. Stuck in the doctors office? Read. Waiting for a family member? Read. Happiness!)

So, we started a really fun thing this year. We have a book club class for teachers to get familiar with Young Adult literature generally, and Utah authors specifically. Sixty people joined the club--how fun is that! We will have 7 sessions this year, and we've already had two.

In each session, we talk a bit about improving literacy instruction, discuss the book in small groups, have a fabulous dessert and have a Q&A with the author.

In September, Chris Crowe came to our group to talk about his book "Getting Away With Murder". I had never heard the story of Emmet Till before, and was intrigued by the tragic and pivotal role he played in the Civil Rights movement.

In November, Lisa Mangum gave us the inside scoop on writing "The Hourglass Door." It's a fun twist on science fiction and time travel. It was the second time I had a chance to read it. The first time was just for enjoyment. The second time, I read to consider the story from the perspective of the target audience. Yes--I think girls 14-16 (or anyone who like YA) will love this.
The lesson for this session was about how we make reading plans to increase our understanding while we read. Click here for a copy of the Alpine Reading Process Chart to use to think about reading purposes and plans.

Here's a sneak peek for what's coming for us.
January: "Matched" by Ally Condie
February: "Wolves, Boys and Other Things that Might Kill Me" by Kristen Chandler
March: "Wings" by Aprilynne Pike (I know we're stretching the 'Utah Author' thing but she has connections here)
April: "Wrong Number" by Rachelle Christensen

Ooh, I can hardly wait for each of these discussions! There is nothing better than great books, awesome people and lots of chocolate to make an enjoyable evening.

2 comments:

Monti Poulson said...

This sounds great! Can I join, even if I'm not a teacher yet?

Canda said...

Sure, we have a few people in the club that are bloggers or just avid readers.