Thursday, December 30, 2010

So, I finished Wish Thief--now what?


What am I reading right now? Tempestuous (Lesley Livingston)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far? Holy twisty-turny plot drama!!
This is the third and final in the series; I seriously think each one got better.


Now, about WISH THIEF
1. I finished the story
2. Had some other people read it
3. Got feedback.
The verdict is in and it is (drum roll, please) "It needs more work."
I know, not a shocker, but it's nice to have people give their opinions to help you narrow down the many options for revision.

A month ago, I attended the national conference for the National Council of Teachers of English and listened to as many authors as I could. Susan Campbell Bartoletti talked about how she researches and collects ideas for her books as she writes, but she doesn't outline until after the first draft. So, that's what I'm going to do with WISH THIEF.

I've been looking at an outline of what I want in the story, and now I'm working at filling in the gaps. (And between you and me there is this one that is pretty big.)

Here's my current revision list:
Foreshadow the theme earlier
Add in some more minor scenes of the problem
Rework the time flow (here's the major one)

Funny thing is, I really like revision. Off to play . . .

Ahhhh-choooo. That's how I've been saying bye for about a week now :)

No comments: