Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Goopy Popcorn Balls

What am I reading right now? Last Sacrifice (Richelle Mead) Yes, I know it is a banned book. (In its defense, it was banned before it was even written!)



Annnd . . . what do I think so far? I have really enjoyed this series! In the last book: character reveals, crazy schemes, dangerous road trips, unlikely allies, betrayal, passion, gunshot and the world of the dead. Not exactly the ending I imagined for Rose, but it seems right for her. Oh, and put "Bloodlines" on the wish list.

Here's the next holiday recipe installment.

Goopy Popcorn Balls
1/4 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Popcorn with kernels removed (3 batches microwave or 2 batches hot air)

Stir constantly. Bring the first four ingredients to a boil on medium heat. Continue stirring until it reaches soft ball stage.**

Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and pour over popcorn. Let it cool a bit then butter your hands to form the balls.

Serving Suggestion:
Add a bell ornament to your Christmas tree and watch "It's a Wonderful Life" while eating goopy popcorn balls.


**I don't use a candy thermometer. After the carmel becomes thick, I put cold water in a mug and drop some from a teaspoon. Then I roll it into a ball and lift it out of the water. If it flattens a bit (but doesn't drip off my finger) it is ready.

1 comment:

Henderson family said...

i prefer to skip the whole popcorn part and eat the carmel out of a bowl. throw a little kosher salt on top and call it good....cause it is!