Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Berry Tart

What am I reading now? Darklight (Lesley Livingston)
Annnd . . . what do I think so far?
Two things.
One: Love it that this book doesn't have a love triangle!!
And two: I'm just past the info dump that books in a series always start with. Here's a idea--why not include the info dump in a separate place, like in a forward, so the rest of us don't start the second book by hating the recap. Right, this comment is not specific to this book and the publisher made her do it and maybe someone bought the second book first and this will help them get the story.
Just sayin'.

Because my husband's family has diabetes sprinkled around here and there, I try to make a few things that cut carbs. Here's one of them:

Berry Tart
graham cracker crust (I know--sugary! but the rest of this is an improvement on carbs)
2 cups vanilla yogurt (I look for fat-free and low-sugar)
1 pkg sugar free white chocolate pudding (the little one)
1 cup water
1 package Raspberry Ice Crystal Light (the cup that makes 2 quarts of drink)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups frozen raspberries
2 cups frozen blackberries

Mix yogurt and pudding together and pour into pie crust and chill in the freezer just until the next step is done.

Combine water and Crystal Light, mix in cornstarch and bring to a boil stirring constantly. Remove from heat when it thickens and stir in frozen fruit. Pour atop pudding. Refrigerate.

Serving Suggestion: Surround pie tin with garland and taper candles as part of the centerpiece for your table or buffet. You'll love the pretty dark red color of this tart. Makes a nice alternative to pumpkin and pecan pie after dinner.

1 comment:

Renae W. Mackley said...

I could use a new (insert word that starts with r) for those with diabetes. This one sounds good. Thanks. Just in case--I don't know if lurkers searching for things to cook get that r word search from comments too so I omitted it.